Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Last day in Adelaide

Hey everyone,

I don't have much time to write this so it will have to be brief.

The last while has mostly been spent in the outback australia. We went straight from Melbourne to Coober Pedy, then up to Alice Springs where we took a three day outback tour (Uluru, Kata Tjuta, Kings Canyon) then spent two days in the Alice. The last five days we have been in Adelaide. Tomorrow its off to Sydney, then Thursday Japan.

Coober Pedy is an opal mining town; very multicultural. Most people live underground either in old mines or dug outs. Even the churchs are underground. There is an 18 hole golf course (keep off the grass), lots of aboriginies and a great didjeridu shop. I got both my second didjeridu and first lesson at that shop.

The outback is hot, and full of flies. We were lucky on our tour in that most of the time it was raining; kept us cool. Too much detail to write, some pictures will follow.

Alice springs is a small town in the centre of the country, it is known as a place to runaway to. There are loads of aboriginies, and a few nice bars. Here I got my third didjeridu and second lesson. I promise.. no more didjeridu's! Ross's post will have a short video of me playing.. this was at the very beginning of my first lesson, already the sound is much different yet again. I will show everyone in June.

Adelaide is my favorite ciry in Australia so far.. it is full of great beer, friendly people and spacious malls. (har har) but seriously, its a great place and probably where I'd like to live if I ever came down here for a longer period of time. The beach area is amazing, streets are clean and the general attitude is very australian (unlike melbourne)

I can't wait to see Japan, but I'm alittle scared of the culture shock and carrying my bags all day, everyday but I guess its worth it. I'll try to write sooner next time.

Cheers,

Andrew









5 comments:

Sarah Connolly said...

Sweet Pictures! Man, I can't wait to see all the doo's ... maybe you can give me a lesson!
Take care :)

Anonymous said...

Andrew, the pictures are truly unique. I particularly liked the church and Ayres Rock. I hope both of you get a good tour of Japan. A marvellous adventure. Love, Dad.

Anonymous said...

It's great to hear from you world travellers. Oh to be a fly on your backpack. We'll be expecting some fine concerts when you return. Beautiful pictures again. I recognize some from looking at Google Earth. Have a super time in Japan-don't get lost in the crowds(ha ha). Stay safe. love Mom

Sarah Connolly said...

These Bush quotes are hilarious!

Anonymous said...

Hey Andrew!

Trip looks like you're experiencing a lot and having a great time doing it. I've been living vicariously through your descriptions! Keep it up...I'm anxious to hear about your time in Japan!

Have fun!