Saturday, March 3, 2007

Its been along time!

A lot has happened since the last post.. and even now I don't have any media to share! The internet has been very hard to find.. and a good connection even more so. I'll start from the top:

Shepparton was very hard work.. harvest work is a good work out but in 42-43 degree weather it just makes you feel sick! I was lucky to pick two bins a day (30 bucks a bin) There was a great crowd of people working with us, and we had good times when we weren't working just hanging around our lovely world war II barracks. I have loads of pictures, and ross videos, but I think they will have to wait until I get home to be properly displayed (possibly some videos coming later, depending on how much work ross puts into it). I'd say the best part of shepparton was driving the tractors, and playing with the diablo! (plastic spin toy you throw into the air and catch on a string)

After Shepparton (as planned) we went to Melbourne and were lucky enough to stay with a great family we met threw dad's contacts. Melbourne is a great city, we spent our week touring around with the locals seeing great food, shopping, cafes and bars. Highlights included an open air cinema show right downtown, an exhibition AFL (Australian Football League or footy) game at the Telstra dome, and hanging around with Marie and her sisters. Again, lots of pictures from Melbourne, but I won't be posting them until I get home.

Last Wednesday we landed in Hobart Tasmania, and since then we have been touring around extensively. We hired a car for 7 days, and have already seen a great deal south of hobart (national parks, air walk tree exhibition, hasting caves, bruny island, and lots of great scenery) and within the last two days moved north west of hobart. Today we climbed Mt Fields, saw three waterfalls (great pictures), and drove threw one of the saddest towns I've ever seen (Queenstown) where the primary work is limestone mining. Tonight we are staying in a great cabin lodge in a town called Straham; tomorrow first thing its off to Cradle Mountain. Still lots to see, but its back to Melbourne this coming Thursday, where we will probably spend the weekend at our friends beach house.

Our air tickets to Japan and New Zealand have also been booked since the last post with dates something like this: March 28th -> Japan, April 6th -> Australia en route to New Zealand (landing on the 8th), and May 2nd back to Australia so we can explore the famous east coast (sunshine and gold).

I don't have much more to say right now, I hope next time I'll have some pictures.. but I'd say the vast majority of the media will have to wait until I'm home. I hope everyone is having a great time at home!

Cheers,

Andrew

4 comments:

Sarah Connolly said...

Sounds like you're jamming in as much action as you can, I'm glad you're having such a great time! Catch you next time,
Sarah

Anonymous said...

Um, you mean the 29th for Japan, right? Might have a problem if you booked for the 28th.

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrew, Great to get another blog entry. Even though you keep us current by phone there are always extra tidbits in your blog. Really looking forward to your pictures and Ross's videos. Take care

Anonymous said...

Nice to see the comments Andrew. They will serve as a framework for memories of the trip. I can see that you are maximizing your time. It must be nice to get a break from the extreme heat. Have you seen a Tasmanian devil yet? Look forward to your next entry. Love, Dad.