Saturday, January 20, 2007

Hello Mates!

The flight from LA to Sydney was enjoyable, I know its hard to believe! We had fairly good food, all you could drink, and on demand entertainment. Not to mention great company! The 13 hours went by faster than I ever would have imagined.

After landing in Sydney, we hooked up with a shuttle service and were quickly at our hostel. The first thing that stood out to me were the cars (of which most are not available in north america) and the way everyone drives. Not only is it on the opposite side of the road, but its fast and aggressive! Horns are heard almost all the time.

Most of the day was spent walking the streets of Sydney (mostly Pitt St. [where the hostel was] and george street). Its warm here.. I mean really warm! The sun is more intense than I have ever felt before, I don't think I would walk outside without sunscreen ever. There is a great deal of tourist type stuff to see and do.. we plan to see the aquarium, gardens, olympic park, art gallery and more. Even the streets are interesting.. most all malls have no doors.. none at all! You can walk right in, and feel the breeze outside. I don't mean that its just wide open but could be closed either; its open for good, major building are designed to be wide open moving sometimes from one street to another inside a building. (pictures to come).

There is a monorail! It feels like you are in disneyland almost, the whole city has a theme pack feel.. another interesting thing we noticed was a particular intersection where the pedestrians have full right of way in every direction.. and when that happens the street is full of people going every which way! (see Ross's post for a video)

I suppose I have lots more to say, but I can't think of it now. Here are some pictures from our first day down under.

Cheers,

Andrew

PS: The internet availability in Australia is much worse than in Canada so I won't be online much if at all, and the blog posts will be less frequent than desired.









2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too bad you have to pay so much for internet, your pictures and write ups are so interesting. The video of the intersection looks like a crazy free for all. Glad to hear you're thinking about sun screen and hats.

Anonymous said...

Andrew, I found your comment on the lack of doors interesting. Great pictures.